Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Love in the Time of Cholera: Dec 2, 2007

After reading only one third of the book, I feel that I have fallen in love with it. I like the book in the way it is organized. First, it tells us about what is happening at the time. Then, it goes back to half-a-century ago when Fermina was in love with Florentino. Each session of the book is divided up into the histories of the different characters in the book. It is well organized and I am able to follow through the book with deep understanding of what is happening.

In all cases I liked the book, the only thing I dislike about the book is its overly graphic discussion about women.

Throughout the book, I find quotes that I really like. Here is one of the quotes:
“Panic-stricken, she told her Aunt Escolastica, who gave her advice with the courage and lucidity she had not had when she was twenty and was forced to decide her own fate. ‘Tell him yes,’ she said. ‘Even if you are dying of fear, even if you are sorry later, because whatever you do, you will be sorry all the rest of your life if you say no’” (71).

Aunt Escolastica has been in the same situation back when she was young. However, she did not have the courage to do what she wants and to be with who she likes. So now, she supports Fermina in accepting Florentino’s plead to be her husband so that she would not regret for the rest of her life, like she had. I really love Aunt Escolastica in the way that she is so selfless. She wants her niece to have what she didn’t have and to be happy just because she wasn’t. Also, I agree with her in the way that one should do whatever they want without moving back due to fear. She said that if Fermina agrees with Florentino, she might be happy. Even if everything turns out to be bad, she can still choose again. But if she disagrees, she would never know the result and may regret for the rest of her life.

No comments: