Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Love in the Time of Cholera: Dec 1, 2007

Lorenzo has always been a caring man throughout the book. There are how much I loved you’” (43). Dr. Urbino has saved his last breath so that he can say this to Fermina. Their relationship has been horrible throughout their half-a-century shared life. However, in the end, he finds the courage to show his love towards Fermina. I just thought that this line is beautifully written and so I want to share it with you guys. It is very true that god is the one who knows everything, because what a person said may not always be true and that he or she might be lying.

Fermina responds to this by praying to God “to give him at least a moment so that he would not go without knowing how much times when he over-reacted to the situation, but his love and hope for his daughter never fail. Lorenzo did not immediately confront Florentino after finding out about his love with Fermina. He only went to confront Florentino because Fermina had refused to eat and to talk to him. This shows his care and love for his daughter. He care about his daughter so much that he did not care about losing his dignity when he went to talk to Florentino. The passage that Jessica found is one that I love also. In the passage, it is said that Lorenzo had been doing the same thing Fermina is doing today. However, he does not allow his daughter to do the same thing. I believe that he thinks that it had been a mistake for him and his wife, and so he does not want Fermina to commit the same mistake and to regret later on. If the relationship between Fermina’s parent is a mistake, this gives the reason to why Fermina mother has not been mentioned in the book frequently. To me, Lorenzo loves his daughter and he cares about her. I do not know if this is due to his love towared his wife and that Fermina resembles her or it is due to his want in becoming rich through his beautiful daughter.

There is a line that appears early in the book and that I loved a lot. Dr. Urbino said it before he fell off the tree and die. He said ‘“Only god knows she had loved him despite all their doubts, and she felt an irresistible longing to begin life with him over again so that they could say what they had left unsaid and do everything right that they had done badly in the past” (47). This sudden realization leads me into thinking about the flaws of human beings. Is it true that people only realize their mistakes and that they only see the truth when they are facing deaths? I have been wondering about this throughout my reading career.

1 comment:

Ping L 6 said...

This is one of my favorite books. Many questions arise after I read it. I wonder about the different relationships between various people. I analyze what I read and with it, is able to add my own thought. This post shows some of the best quote I found from the book, and which I analyze and questioned.